A man is in a critical condition after a fire set his Rotherham family home up in flames.

Matthew Shine was asleep upstairs when a fire began in his family home on Park Street, Rawmarsh, last Friday, 30 September.

Luckily, the family of three’s 12-year-old son, Reuben, and mother, Rebecca, avoided the terrifying event, as they weren’t on the property at the time of the fire.

Mr Shine was asleep upstairs when the house caught fire, leaving him trapped in the property.

After firefighters rescued Mr Shine from the burning property, he was then taken to hospital where he is now in critical condition and being treated for his injuries.

The family tragically lost their beloved family pet to the fire, along with most of their belongings.

Mr Shine’s niece, Accalia Palmer, set up a GoFundMe page to support her family through this extremely challenging time in their lives.

Up until now, the fundraiser has raised more than £1,500 from over 40 participants.

It is still unknown what exactly caused the fire but an investigation is underway.

The family is extremely grateful for any donations and offers of help. Anyone who wishes to support the Shine Family in their time of need can do so here.